Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How is the view? (Hope you like pictures..)

I was walking home from class today, passing by that odd structure people termed the "Tree of Life" and looking ahead to the majestic backdrop of mountains that we are so blessed with here in Provo, Utah, and I thought almost the entire way home about all the incredible views I have seen in my life time, and how beautiful the world is (unfortunately, some of us, including myself at times takes it for granted). It made me realize that I need to be more grateful for the places that I have been, and the things that I have seen. Some people would love to have been the places I have been and seen the things I have seen. That's why I am doing this, so I can, any maybe some of you can, enjoy the beauty of nature that is constantly surrounding us. Nature is constant, and will always be surrounding us. Whether we choose to see it and embrace it is up to us. Here are a few of my most favorite pictures that are from my life. I wish I would have had a camera when I was really young so I could remember the many great places my family has been, but for now, I can remember the things I have documented here.

A picture I drew of my "utopia" of nature if you will. I love mountains so much, they are filled with grandeur and imposing beauty.


This is punchbowl falls at Eagle Creek, in Oregon. I visited it over the summer.


These are the sand dunes in Florence, Oregon that we went to as a scout troop to ride the dune buggies. Easily one of the most memorable trips of my life. The dunes had little lakes that were crystal clear throughout, and were so beautiful, but most of the time we were going so fast I could hardly get a picture!


Me on that same trip on the highest point on the Oregon Coast. Let me tell you, that is an incredible view.


The ocean is an amazing place filled with life and hidden treasures. These are below that high point above in the tide pools. I wish I had pictures of when I went Scuba diving, because I saw some ridiculous things (like an 18 legged sea star engulfing a crab 50 feet under) but it was really dark in the water and pictures would be hard.


This is the view from my favorite campground in the whole wide world, Cape Perpetua, Oregon. I have so many memories of my family going there and being able to overlook the beach from our campground. Falling asleep to the ocean breezes, and waking up with the sun beating on your tent. Although the water is extremely cold, the environment is unbeatable.

My Mom is the one person I know who is able to capture the most amazing things in nature. She has an innate ability to see the little things in life and be grateful for every single one. These are my two favorite pictures she has taken from our house, capturing some brilliant skies.



For my Dad's birthday awhile ago we went to the Hillsboro airshow. Man oh man, with my love of airplanes I had a ball. Best part ever was getting to that airshow and someone was painting a cute little face overlooking everyone in the sky. This just screams, "Don't worry, be happy. It will all be okay." 


Sunsets are incredible. I caught this one at a BYU football game. 


Crater Lake in Oregon is the deepest lake in the entire world. It is 4000 feet deep. That is like taking Mt. Hood from the lowest ski lift and flipping it upside down and fitting it all underwater. Wow! I had the opportunity to cycle around if for a scout superactivity -- hands down hardest bike ride of my life. 50 miles of grueling up and down hill climbing. I am proud to say I was able to complete that bike ride! But what a stunner of a view!


Later in the week we camped at this great lake. Lots of flies but I love this part of Oregon.


Indubitously, hands down one of the top pictures I have ever taken in my whole life! Capturing 4 Blue Angels going 150 miles an hour after takeoff is a feat. They were beautiful flying in tight formation, I was amazed to be able to witness that kind of skill. Its not something I could easily forget.


Disney World in 10th Grade. Lots of amazing things on that trip. Thanks for being a champ and taking the picture, Tiana :)


Cross country skiing near Mt. Hood. Lots of fun on that trip digging an amazing snow cave and sleeping overnight in it. I just love the outdoors and snow and the cold and everything. 


I've been able to witness a ton of awesome views while skiing. Being at the top of the mountain and being higher than the clouds is such a good feeling. You feel invincible up there, like you have just conquered yourself and everything below you. 


 This was later in the day, when most of the clouds have subsided. I love taking pictures where if feels like the world is frozen in perfect time. 


The view from quest field after receiving surprise tickets to see my one of my favorite teams from London, England play in Seattle for my birthday two years ago. That was such a blast. The crowd was unbelievable.


This is the plane that I flew a long time ago. Haha, actually another guy took me up in it and he told me I had the controls when we were in the sky. I wish I had my camera in the airplane because the view from up there was unbelievable. 


Climbing Mt. Timpanogos was unreal. Being up 12,000 feet and seeing the entire lay of the land was unforgettable as well. This was a good way to start off a wonderful first semester at BYU. 


Sunrise from the top. COLD. But beautiful, no?


I love this picture I took just off the summit. It shows how majestic these mountains in the Wasatch front really are. 



See that little white thing at the top? If you can believe it, that is where we were at the top of Timp. This was in the valley below after our descent. It was a perfect day, and we hiked from 12:00 AM to 11:00 AM through the night. 
Never thought I would do that...


Fall at BYU was really beautiful. Sometimes when it rained and there was dampness on the ground, like in the picture below, it reminded me of home. (See that white thingy? That's the Tree of Life structure I alluded to at the beginning of this post, if you can remember back that far.)


The sky can take your breath away sometimes. 



I am blessed to get to walk out my door at any given moment and see this. Mountains surrounding on all sides. This is when it started to get cold and frost began accumulating on Y mountain.


This is on the way to a basketball game with Hunter in November. That spire is the imposing and grand Hinckley building. They have really comfy chairs in there.


Trees changing can make a world of difference in the Fall. The leaves that fall just seemed to make everyone even more happy around here, if you can believe that.


I think soccer is the beautiful game for a reason. What a great atmosphere? What a pretty field. 


I just like the colors in this picture a lot. They are rustic and natural to me.



This was right outside my window before that so called "blizzard of the century" was supposed to hit.


O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea! 

That came to mind after taking this picture.



Spencer W. Kimball tower, the tallest building in Provo. What a view.


This was before that blizzard also, what a shocker to see such a beautiful sky!


I get to be on such a beautiful campus here at BYU. The environment makes me happy just going to class every day. I love the climate here. 



Driving to downtown Portland is deceptively beautiful. The massive bridge you go over is a wonderful piece of architecture.


I already posted pictures of our latest ski trip, but these pictures are especially awesome. 



Top 5 pictures I have ever taken. I love the wood in the foreground. 



This was Sunday afternoon on the way to the airport. What a beautiful day in Vancouver, Washington.It was sad that break was over, but this was a great goodbye from the place that I love called home.  



I hope I have convinced some of you to look for the beauty in nature. Sorry if you fell asleep because this post was so long, but I wanted to do it after thinking about it today. I love you Mom! Thanks for helping me to see the little things in life. 


2 comments:

  1. Those are some way pretty pictures! It's true, I don't realize all of the beautiful things as often as I should! Thanks for the post! PS I like the blog background switch up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... you look SO different from 10th grade!! Seriously, unreal. Also, the sky is my ALL TIME favorite thing ever. All the time... and that one place, like the 4th picture?? yeah, I want to go there now... Also, go to austria and the top of the fairview mountains and this album would be COMPLETE!! :)

    ReplyDelete