Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Sun Is A Mass of Incandescent Gas

Gemma and I went on a beautiful nature hike today to the fish hatchery right by our house. We took both Cappy and Tweed and did two nature loops. By the end of it, we were both very hot. So I took the liberty of teaching her a popular They Might Be Giants song Why Does The Sun Shine? We sang it mostly the entire time...

The sun is a mass of incandescent gas 
a gigantic nuclear furnace
where hydrogen is built into helium 
at a temperature of millions of degrees

Afterwards, a little later in the day we just took some goofy pictures in the front yard. 

Nothing like the smell of freshly cut grass on a July afternoon...


Awesome action pose!



Funny story: I came in after the nature hike and went to Brigitta and told her I had a fantastic idea! What if we got a tripod and set it up right next to the tracks with my video camera on it, then turned it on and saw up close a powerful train tearing by it at high speeds! How intense would that be! Then she told me she had just been listening to a motivational talk about a boy who was 19 and had been too close to the train tracks, misjudged the distance, and was killed by the train...that sure stole all my thunder. She didn't understand the whole concept of turning on the camera, then retreating back across the street...but I also realized that some ideas sound awesome at first then the more you think about them the less exciting they seem. 



My family had a pretty awesome fireworks show last night. My Dad went out and got the KNIGHT ASSASSIN!!!!! 12 shells that exploded so bright....and yet not very high! I was scared because they exploded only about 100 feet in the air, and some of the burning embers came down and landed in trees and such. Nothink happened and we enjoyed every moment of it. We even had a car stop on Old Evergreen Highway and watch too, everytime one exploded the would hoot and holler. 

It was a great 4th of July!



Random Sidenote

I found this video of the top of Mount Timpanogos when we hiked it on my roommate Hunter's Youtube Channel, I had never seen it. It is hilarious how absolutely freeezing it was up there and how rejuvinating the sun coming up was! The wind was unbearable btw, thats why we could hardly talk.




No comments:

Post a Comment